I love me a good essence. Ever since the K-Beauty trend popularized this product, lots have been written about its efficacy, need, and place in your standard skincare routine. The idea of a “booster” to maximize the efficacy of your serums, moisturizers, treatments is not exactly new to those of you familiar with the Asian skincare philosophy and ritual. Today’s review is on Tatcha’s The Essence.
SK-II arguably popularized the essence to larger population outside of Asia, but at that price point, many of us scramble to find something a little more easy on the wallet. Tatcha, one of my favorite skincare brands, offer The Essence, which, at first glance seems to carry with it a hefty price point (which it does), but with the amount of product you get it’s actually in the mid-tier range when compared to brands who give you less product for your money.
What is The Essence
Per Tatcha’s website, The Essence is a “resurfacing softener of 98.7% pure anti-aging Japanese superfoods that makes all skincare work better.”
The brand currently offers The Essence in the 5.1 oz bottle and a 0.8 oz travel-sized bottle.
I ordered it via their website online and was actually disappointed in that the packaging leaked a little via transit. Not a lot, but at this price point I don’t have a drop to spare!
Performance-wise, it absorbs easily, is luxurious to use, and feels refreshing on the skin. The bottle is weighty and beautifully designed, per what you would expect from Tatcha.
Tatcha The Essence Product Profile
- Product Name: Tatcha “The Essence” Plumping Skin Softener
- Size: 5.1 oz (full size); 0.8 oz (travel size)
- Key Ingredients: 98.7% concentration of “Tatcha’s Hadasei-3 Anti-Aging Complex, a proprietary fermentation of Uji Green Tea, Okinawa Muzuku Algae, and Akita Rice”
- Suitable For: All Skin Types
- Key Benefits: Maximizes performance of any treatment that follows, instantly replenishes the skin’s natural water channels, restore a healthy skin moisture barrier, soften the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- Directions: Use daily, after cleansing and before any other skincare
- Price: $95.00
- Price Per Ounce: $18.60
Competitive products to consider
- Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence, $23 for 5.07 oz ($4.54 per ounce) (Review Here)
- CosRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence, $22 for 3.4oz ($6.47 per ounce)
- Neogen Real Ferment Micro Essence, $38 for 5.07 oz ($7.49 per ounce)
- Tatcha The Essence Plumping Skin Softener, $95 for 5.1 oz ($18.60 per ounce)
- Estee Lauder Micro Essence, $59 for 2.5 oz ($23.60 per ounce)
- SK-II Facial Treatment Essence, $179 for 5.4 oz ($33.15 per ounce)
Tatcha The Essence Review
- Product feel, absorption, pleasant and mild scent
- Luxurious packaging, but leaked in transit
- Personally, I prefer a pump, especially at a luxury price point for ease of use
Skin feels refreshed and smooth after application
If you are looking for a less expensive option to SK-II’s famous Facial Treatment Essence, this product will deliver what you need at a slightly more economical cost. In the future, since I am trying to be cognizant of value in skincare, I will probably still go with Missha’s Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence, however, because I like that product’s performance equally as much as I did Tatcha’s, at a fraction of the price.
Tatcha’s packaging, user experience, and “delight” factor can’t be denied however. Except for the hiccup in this product leaking a bit during transit, everything about opening up a Tatcha delivery is exceptionally well thought out and no detail is spared. I think that is what sets it apart from its competition.
It truly is a luxurious experience using this product, one I look forward to every morning and evening – while it lasts. But after purchasing it one time, I’m on the lookout for a more budget-friendly option!